Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cruelty

I knew it was a mistake as soon as I tried to make contact. But I had to try, I thought that any contact with a human would be better than this isolation. I even thought I had an excuse. I'm still certain that the bitch...the Custodian.. made a mistake, a malfunction. Why else would I be forced to do maintenance twice in the same day, within hours.
So I did what I had been told to do only in an emergency. I contacted my Operator. Right from the start I knew she was mad. She berated me even before she hooked the vox up to the helmet, before I could even plead my case. Once I could speak again I stuttered and stammered through my excuse. I could see that it was making her more and more angry with me. I'm not human, therefor just another annoyance to her busy day.
She didn't care what I had to say. She ignored my fear and simply, in a cool and professional tone, told me I was going to be punished for contacting her. Without even looking at the control box that she carries she touched a series of buttons. Suddenly I can barely see. My world looks like a poorly tuned in TV show from the days of antennas. Static we used to call it, and now it's my entire world.
Before I can even beg for mercy she rips the vox from me and physically shoves me out into the street again. As I run away I hear her reset the Custodian, making me unable to approach humans again. I'm quite sure I can hear her laughing too, though that may be my imagination. Imagined or not, I know I'm not like her, I'm not human. I'm something less. I am S-5876, a bane.

2 comments:

  1. The lack of clear sight spared you the worst, S-5876. I did not "shove you into the street" but actually pushed you over the ledge of the Snark tower. I was back hugging my sweet Jelena before you landed on the ground below.

    I have but one daily hour with her and it really has to be an emergency for me to interrupt that time and waste some of it. So, I will admit it. I was irritated to begin with. And I became mad when I realized the emergency had been just a way for you to try and escape the solitude that's the main issue with the sentence you are serving. It's called "banishment", not "cocktail party".

    The fact that you have proved to be one of my best behaved Banes so far does not entitle you to any special leniency on my side... and neither does our long time acquaintance. I hope I made that very clear today and I trust you will be able to live the rest of your time with no further slips.

    Try harder, G-5876.

    Win
    Kelley Tech Bane Operator

    ReplyDelete