Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Old Age and New Experience

Things were quiet when I logged in today, so I took a little time to start building a new deck on the house. Out of the sky falls a girl, wearing cuffs and a collar, and a skimpy little dress. Odd as that sounds, it's not unheard of in Lochme, the sim I live in.
At first I was a little annoyed, as she was obviously a newbie. A glance at her mostly empty profile showed that she was almost a year old though, so I deemed her "perma-noob" and got ready to ask her to leave. Then she said to me, "can you help?" Now, I may be evil, but I am not mean, so I asked her what she needed, and of course waited for a reply, because perma-noobs always talk slow...
It seems the poor dear couldn't see names or location, or teleport. I checked her restraints quickly, but they were all unlocked. After messing about for awhile I finally determined that she's worn a relay at some point and coached her through removing it, viola', issue solved.
I talked with her for a bit, but I really wasn't in the mood for a scene with a subbie I didn't know, so she went her way and thanked me for my time.

This whole thing got me to thinking. We all were new once. What is it the kept some of us coming back, and how is that we aren't perma-noobs too?

I've met basically two kinds of people that remain in SL a long time. Geeks and writers. Yes, I said geek.. But it's true, it's those people that have been the backbone of SL since it was new.
And the writers, or the creative wordsmiths, have nurtured culture and ideas within the framework.

So the next newbie you meet, take the time and be nice. I know most of us are.

We were all new once.

2 comments:

  1. ...and the geeks have nurtured the writers through the process of making a Realkey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was, again, a very interesting post. Whenever I have a spare minute, I love to help newbies and I still feel gratitude for the people who helped me in my early days. I had a similar experience to yours lately - a girl who apparently had been convinced by a RL friend to download RLV, wear a relay and come to our prison. At first I had a feeling she was pulling my leg and pretending she had no idea - turned out that was not the case because I could tell she was really freaking out when I took control of her avatar and started teasing her. I needed no safeword to realize how distressed that was making her so I released her and we had some talk. Once it became clear she had been played some kind of prank, and that she was totally uninterested in bondage related issues I suggested her to just get rid of RLV and download the latest version of the SL client. It felt so funny in a way, with my being an advocate of RLV in all occasions, but it also felt like the only right thing to do. We parted ways in a very friendly ways. I still to this date wonder about the conversation this girl has probably had later on with her RL friend though. :-)

    ReplyDelete